WELLFLEET COMMUNITY FORUM
MEETING: 5:00 p.m., Nov. 29, 2018. Senior Center
BOARD MEETING: 5:00p.m.,Thursday, April 19th, Wellfleet Senior Center
PRESENT: M. Fox,H. Terkanian, J. Morrissey,T. Cole, E Elkin, R. Elkin,R. Guernsey, E. Savage,C. Felix,S. Lyons (President),D. Wright
MINUTES: March’s draft minutes were unanimously accepted as presented
TREASURER’S REPORT: We have $904.00 in the kitty. The question was posed: Is it working, our way of soliciting funds at meetings w/ a hint and a basket, or should we be sending out membership envelopes? No decision was reached, though it was thought acceptable to make a pitch for donations on our webpage.
NEWS: Mary Wright and Abigale Chapman have left the Board due to time constraints. It was suggested that May Ruth Seidel, former head of the Non-resident Taxpayers association and now living in town, might make a good candidate for the Board: a bridge, so to speak. Esther Elkin said that she would be able to contact May Ruth with our invitation.
REVIEW OF PAST FORUMS: Judging by the attendance at recent forums, we seem to be doing a good job of selecting timely topics.
IDEAS FOR FUTURE FORUMS:
In late MAY,Dick Elkin would like to head up a Forum on the subject of the further solarization of Wellfleet. In particular, he would like to explain the plan for the array intended for the capped landfill.
The third week of JUNE might be a good time to discuss the upcoming marijuana dispensaries coming to Town. There was lengthy discussion on what the parameters of the discussion should be. As we don’t want to debate the issue of whether or not they should be here,some thought it logical that the Forum should be limited to the location, appearance and hours of operation of the dispensaries. others thought this would be too limiting. Atlantic Medical Partners, the licensed distributor for medical marijuana, would be invited to the Forum. Jeff Tash’s name was suggested as someone who might be interested in co-ordinating this but, in his absence, no decision was made.
In JULY, the Outer Cape Health Board might be able to make another presentation on their plans for the local clinic. Some thought that this might make a good joint meeting with the Non-Resident Taxpayer’s Association. Sheila Lyons will contact them to see if there is interest on their end.
AUGUST will be our annual Potluck open meeting and election of officers.
SEPTEMBER, it was suggested, might be the ideal time to discuss the Harbor Dredge.
OTHER NEWS: Richard Guernsey is looking for volunteers to join him every third Tuesday of the month,from April to November,for trash pick up w/ the Adopt a Highway program. With not a lot of response, he said that he would talk to the Chamber of Commerce to see if they would help.
BOARD PARTICIPATION: There was a general plea for help in setting up and taking down the room for the Forums. There is quite a bit involved arranging these affairs,and the co-ordinator needs to know they can rely on the Board for help.
ADJOURN: The meeting broke up at 6:20 p.m.
NEXT MEETING: The next Board meeting will be Thursday, May 17th, 5:00 p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center
PRESENT: Dick Elin, Esther Elkin, Harry Terkanian, Jeff Tash, John Morrissey, Tom Cole, Sheila Lyons (Pres) and D. Wright
MINUTES: Draft minutes from February’s meeting were moved, seconded and unanimously approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: D. Guernsey reported our current balance as being $ 825. 59
DISCUSSION AND DETAILS: UPCOMING FORUMS
– Dennis Murphy, current chair of the Board of Selectmen, will lead a panel, possibly including Suzanne Grout Thomas, Beach Dept. head, on March 22nd. The subject will be oceanside parking, in particular, the proposed expansion of White Crest beach parking.
– Curt Felix and Justina Carlson (of diff. water use groups) plan to make a presentation that same night of Wellfleet’s water situation. In particular, they will speak to the perceived need for a new Town position, someone knowledgeable enough to oversee the delivery of fresh and the disposal of waste water. The creation of this position will be an article on the warrant.
– Pre- Town Meeting is set for April 17th, with Dan Silverman,Town Moderator, moderating.
– Candidates Night will be Thursday, April 26th. Ira Wood will moderate (we hope), and John Morrissey will contact him.
For all of the above meetings, it was determined who would execute the usual steps: Sheila Lyons would write up the three press releases, Dick Elkin would get them out to the various press outlets and Jeff Tash would publicize through a Forum email blast. All information needs to be out by April 12th.
IDEAS FOR FUTURE FORUMS:
– Transportation. What is locally available for seniors and others who may not wish to drive themselves? Might this be a good topic for May?
CITIZENS CLEAN UP: Would it be possible, Sheila wonders, to join forces w/ the Chamber of Commerce on this? We lack the citizen-power, it seems, to take this on ourselves.
NOMINATING COMMITTEE: John Morrissey reminded us that we need to form a nominating committee to present a slate for August’s meeting.
ADJOURN: The meeting ended at 5:40p.m.. The next Forum meeting is scheduled for April 19th, 5:00 p.m., in the Senior Center
David Wright, Sec.
PRESENT: H. Terkanian, E. Elkin, D. Elkin, R. Guernsey, E. Savage,T. Cole, M. Wright, M. Alciati, S. Lyons (President), Mary Fox, David Wright
MINUTES: The minutes for the previous meeting were unanimously accepted as presented.
TREASURY: $58.00 was in the donation basket at the conclusion of the last Forum. That, with the addition of an expected PayPal payment, brings us to a total of $719.59 in the coffers, just $80.41 shy of fee-free banking.
CHARTER REVIEW FORUM: FEB.22,7:00p.m.
What needs to be done? (this list of duties could apply to any Forum presentation)
– Get a PRESS RELEASE out to the local newspapers by their stated deadlines, usually 2 wks. in advance. The press release is usually written by the person who has brought forward a topic, or volunteered to co-ordinate the particular Forum. The press release is then sent out, currently by D. Elkin. The press release will be the basis of a flyer and an email blast.
-FLYER: to be plastered around town, is usually composed by the person who wrote the press release…and put up by those who have been offered to help.
-EMAIL BLAST: Jeff Tash, V.P., is in charge of our webpage and email blast service, announcing upcoming Forums. It was the sense of this meeting that Jeff should appoint a back-up person to help perform this function, just in case he’s away or indisposed. Dick Elkin was thought to be the current logical choice.
-SIGNBOARD: A signboard is to be placed on Town Hall lawn announcing the upcoming Forum. John Morrissey has been in charge of that, recently.
MARY WRIGHT asked, what does the Forum do, in general, and what will it do, in particular, at our upcoming presentation, when there is rancor or unproductive argument from the floor? Who will moderate? It was thought that a moderator should be assigned to step in, as needed, for any Forum. This could be someone from the Board, the President being the de facto moderator who would lay out the procedure at the beginning of the Forum, or someone selected from the panel presenting the evening’s program. Sheila will introduce Harry T., who will moderate, at this upcoming Forum.
Dick Elkin observed that the usual format has been: a presentation that lasts 30-40 minutes followed by a period for questions and comments from the audience.
PARTICULARS FOR UPCOMING FORUM; The Board discussed how best to make clear to the audience the changes recommended for the Charter. Harry Terkanian, of the review committee, will prepare an executive summary, highlighting the substantive changes suggested. Should this review be posted on our website in advance? (Mary Wright thought that the website could use some grooming) Should it be sent out w/ the email blast?
THE NEXT FORUM AFTER CHARTER REVIEW: White Crest parking expansion/parking in general/disposition of the former Head Start/Senior Center building.
-Who would head up a presentation? It was thought that Dan Hoort, T.A., and Suzanne Grout Thomas, Beach Dept. head and Senior Center head, would be good.
-When should we do it? It was thought that the week of March 12th would be good. The press release would then have to be out by Feb.19th, D. Elkin said.
-Who would contact Dan Hoort, set the date and secure a venue? John Morrissey and Mary Fox offered to do this.
TRADITIONAL APRIL FORUMS: PRE-TOWN MEETING, CANDIDATE’S NIGHT
-Pre-town meeting could be held the week of April 9th, or April 16th. (Town Meeting will be April 23rd) Usually moderated by the Town Moderator, Harry T. will contact D. Silverman as to his availability. Also discussed was the focus of the meeting. Should we go through article by article,explaining each one…or should we concentrate on controversial articles and allow discussion of said? Various members of the Board felt various ways. Mary Wright wondered if the public should be posed this question at our annual August meeting. Dan Silverman will be consulted and he will determine the style of this meeting.
Nominations for Selectman close March 20th. A Candidate’s Night will be scheduled for an appropriate time.
ADJOURN: The meeting broke up at 6:25 p.m.
NEXT BOARD MEETING: THURSDAY, MARCH 8TH,5:00 p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center
David Wright, secretary
David B. Wright, Sec.
MINUTES FROM ANNUAL MEETING: The Wellfleet Community Forum held its annual Pot Luck Dinner meeting, open to the general public, on August 31st in Wellfleet Preservation Hall from 6-8. The convivial meeting was attended by approximately 35 people.
This year it was our pleasure to honor our Town Moderators, past and present: Dan Silverman, Bruce Beirhans and Harry Terkanian. Outgoing President John Morrissey introduced the honorees, who were presented w/ commemorative T-shirts. They entertained us with an original song about being a town moderator.
Evelyn Savage, who w/ Lydia Vivante and Tom Cole chaired the nominating committee, took the stage to thank President Morrissey for his devoted service to the group and to announce the slate of candidates for Board Members. Sheila Lyons was nominated to be President; Jeff Tash to continue as Vice-President, Dick Guernsey as Treasurer and David Wright as Secretary. New Board members: Jane Sharp, Mary Wright,Marianne Alciati and Mary Fox. There were no nominations from the floor. The assembly voted unanimously to endorse this slate.
President: Shelia Lyons (1yr. term)
Vice-President: Jeff Tash (1 yr. term)
Treasurer: Dick Guernsey (1 yr. term)
Secretary: David Wright (1 yr. term)
The next regular meeting of the Forum will be Thursday, Sept. 21st, 2017, 5:00p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center
PRESENT: T. Cole, J. Carlson, E. Elkin, D. Elkin, J. Tash, E. Savage, J. Morrissey, R. Guernsey, D. Wright, C. Felix
MINUTES: The minutes of June’s meeting were unanimously accepted after amending possible new board member name to Maryann Alciati.
ANNUAL MEETING and POTLUCK: Co-Chairs, E. Savage and J. Tash. Evelyn reserved Pres. Hall for August 31. The meeting will be 6-8 pm, with John Morrissey as master of ceremonies. We will honor Town Moderators H. Terkanian, D. Silverman and B. Bierhans, who have all agreed to participate, and we will give each a t-shirt uniquely designed for the occasion. Board members agreed to come early to help with setup. K. Bacon will assist in the kitchen. John Morrissey will ask L. Valente about paper plates and community cutlery. The cost of the hall will be $300 and kitchen assistance will be $120. E. Savage, chair of the Nominating Committee, will conduct the election of the new members. The nominees are Jane Sharp, Mary Fox, Sheila Lyons and Maryann Alciati. Overall program: 5:30ish: Board members arrive early for setup; 6pm: Public arrives, dinner begins; 6:30: John recognizes honorees, presents t-shirts, calls upon each to talk briefly; 6:45ish: Evelyn leads nominations for new officers and new members; 7:00: Dessert and schmooze.
FUTURE TOPICS: John will coordinate the update on the Library and Outer Cape Health. Both organizations are good with an October date. Each will have about 15-20 minutes, and then questions. The aim is to have Pat Nadle, the CEO of OCH, as a speaker.
MEETING: June 15, 2017, Wellfleet Senior Center, 5:00p.m.
PRESENT: T.Cole, H. Terkanian, J.Carlson, E. Elkin, D. Elkin, J.Tash, E.Savage, J. Morrisey, R.Guernsey,D.Wright GUESTS: Jane Sharp, Mary Wright, Rachel Brown, Sheila Lyons
PRESIDENTS REMARKS: John Morrissey spoke about the origins of the Forum, it’s history and its purpose as a non-partisan organization to facilitate timely discussion of local matters of importance,always striving to present both sides of the issue.
MINUTES: The minutes of May’s meeting were unanimously accepted.
TREASURER’S REPORT: We have $846.59 in the treasury
DISCUSSION of PREVIOUS EVENT: All agreed that the Town Hall meeting w/ State Rep. and Senator, organized by Esther Elkin, was a complete success. The turnout was surprisingly good, and the content/questions meaningful and well-addressed. Some wondered if the taped meeting could be added, via a link, to our website. Also, it was suggested that meetings be listed on our website in future.
EMAIL: We now have 335 people getting our email announcements, webmaster Jeff Tash announced. If we wanted to add names to it, we could forward them to him, he suggested.
NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Evelyn Savage, chair of the Nom. Comm. announced the slate of officers and new Board members to be voted on at the August annual meeting. As follows: Sheila Lyons, President; Jeff Tash, Vice -President; David Wright, Secretary; Richard Guernsey, Treasurer.
New Board Members: Jane Sharp, Mary Wright, and possibly Rachel Brown,Maryann Alcinate and Mary Fox. Does Kurt Felix want to remain on the Board?
ANNUAL MEETING: Co-Chairs, E. Savage and J. Tash. D. Guernsey cautioned that if we want to hold the meeting at Pres. Hall we need to set a date soon. The consensus was that we should have a pot luck. Aside from nominating new members and officers, we would honor Town Moderators, namely H. Terkanian, D. Silverman and B. Beirhans.
FUTURE TOPICS: Would October be a good choice for an update on the Library and Outer Cape Health, something J. Morrissey would continue to co-ordinate?
Would Sept. or October be good for a presentation on Water and Wastewater? The two water committees in town want to argue for hiring a professional water commissioner. Justine Carlson would co-ordinate, knowing that an overall picture must be presented, not one advocating any particular stance.
Jeff Tash suggested a meeting on the Town’s financial challenges. How do we address them? He thought someone from the Finance Committee (like Fred Mc:Gee)would make a good presenter.
D. Elkin talked about his desire to have a “Solarize Plus” forum to inform homeowners about a new program beginning soon on the Outer Cape.
Harry Terkanian suggested a program on the six million dollar Nauset High school renovation project. Chris Easley, our School Board member,might be invited to speak.
As none of this was decided, a July Board meeting will be required.
ADJOURN: It was moved and seconded to adjourn at 6:15 p.m.
NEXT MEETING: July 20th, 5:00 p.m. Senior Center.
David Wright, Sec.
MEETING: MAY 18TH, 5:00 p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center
PRESENT: R. Guernsey, J. Morrissey, J. Tash, J. Carlson, D. Elkin, E. Elkin, E. Savage, D. Wright
Draft Minutes: Unanimously accepted as presented
Treasurer’s Report: Status quo
NEW FORUM OFFICERS: It was decided that the nominating committee will be: E. Savage (chair), L. Vivante (co-chair), T. Cole, E. Elkin
(D. Guernsey,organizer of the Forum’s Adopt-a Highway crew, wondered if the 2 fellows who helped clean up last time would be interested in joining.)
ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY: Do we renew our participation in this program, Dick Guernsey asks? Would we renew for 1, 2 or 3 years? We would need a new co-ordinator, as Dick thinks he will only run the program through the Summer. He’s hoping for more participants, and wonders if we should put up a sign to get them.
FORUM DONATION REQUEST: Jeff Tash will post our request for donations soon. Our email list is now up to 251 people. With our increased online presence there have been increasing requests from community groups to announce their events under our rubric. Should we accept everyone? Discussion focused on the desire to “get out the word” versus email announcement fatigue…and the question of the Forum’s true mission. We don’t want to wear out our online welcome. Jeff Tash,who runs the page, said that he will exercise discretion in this matter.
FUTURE FORUM TOPICS: Julian Cyr and Sarah Peake will be speaking and answering questions on Sunday, June 11th, from 12-30-2:30 in the Senior Center. Town meeting format.
Should people be asked to submit questions in advance online? Yes.
We will need a moderator. Ira Wood? Dan Silverman?
And a tech person for microphones, etc.
The Elkins will put up posters/do the press release.
Pres. Morrissey has the sandwich board for Town Hall lawn.
OTHER TOPICS: The Forum topic, previously discussed, on 2 town institutions (The Library and Outer Cape Health) still holds interest…and will be postponed to September or October.
– Main Street? Town Hall Lawn? Memorial Garden?
– Water and Wastewater Justine Carlson would like to co-ordinate with Non-resident Tax Payers Association being here in town.
– Jeff Tash suggested we address the financial challenges facing the town. How will be handle them? More tax? Fewer services?
ADJOURN: It was moved and seconded to adjourn at 6:00 p.m. The next Forum meeting will be Thursday, June 15th, 5:00 p.m., Senior Center.
David Wright, sec.
MEETING: April 27th,2017, 5:00p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center
PRESENT: E. Elkin,R. Guernsey,L. Vivante,D. Elkin,J. Morrissey,J. Tash, T. Cole, E. Savage and D. Wright
MINUTES: The draft minutes of March’s meeting were unanimously approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: We disbursed $62.00, leaving us a balance of $701.59
OPEN DISCUSSION/PUBLICITY: What is the most effective?
– D. Elkin has been making PSAs and wonders how effective they are?
-J. Tash says that our mailing list (email)is now in the vicinity of 237 recipients
-D. Guersney wondered if when/if we do an envelope for membership/donations there should be a space for including one’s email address. Perhaps a sign up sheet at meetings?
-J. Morrissey would like to send out an email invitation asking if those seeing it would like to continue receiving messages from the Forum.
-D. Wright said the most effective draw for Forum meetings is the topic itself. We’ve hosted several very well-attended meetings recently,presumably on the strength of the topic, to our ability to contact people.
-D. Ekin suggested we put announcements on the Wellfleet Community Space/Voice webpage.
DISCUSSION of CANDIDATE’S NIGHT: Everyone thought the meeting a good one,with great turnout. D.Wright said that he had written Ira Wood a note in thanks for his moderating the event.
DISCUSSION of PRE-TOWN MEETING: Everyone agreed that there was a great turnout for this useful annual meeting. Dan Silverman has been thanked.
DONATION REQUEST on our FORUM PAGE: There is a donation request now, but the feeling was that it need sot be focused somehow. Apparently, the smallest donation acceptable is $20.00.
POSSIBLE FUTURE FORUM TOPICS:
June 10th in the Library (or possibly a bigger hall) E. Elkin has arranged for J. Cyr and S. Peake to address the town. It was suggested that perhaps our email list of Forum members might like to prepare a question in advance of the program,sent to us by return email from the announcement. It was also mentioned that the Senior Center would be better for filming the event, and efforts will be made in this direction.
-Update on TWO LOCAL INSTITUTIONS: Library and Outer Cape Health J. Morrissey will contact one of the Library Trustees; D. Wright will contact someone from Outer Cape Health. Available dates are: Monday, May 22nd, and May 30th and 31st (Tues. and Wed.) T. Cole, video master will be out of town from May 31st- June 10th.
– TOWN HALL LAWN RENOVATION
– SOURCES of REVENUE for WELLFLEET: J. Tash wondered if Fred Mc: Gee from the Finance Committee would like to address this pressing topic. Higher taxes/fewer services/more user fees (such as pay parking meters). What will Wellfleet’s future be?
ADJOURN: The meeting broke up, after unanimous agreement, at 6:02 pm. The next Forum meeting will be Thursday, May 18th at 5:00, in the Senior Center.
MEETING: 5:00p.m., Thursday, March 16, 2017
PRESENT: J. Morrisey, R.Elkin, L. Vivante,R. Guernsey,E. Savage, J.Tash, D. Wright
MINUTES: The draft minutes for February were unanimously approved as presented.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Last month’s balance was $743.59. Due to a generous donation, our new balance is $763.59
SCHEDULED EVENTS: 1)Candidate’s Night: There are now 2 candidates running for Selectman. Other offices are running uncontested. The Forum event is scheduled for Monday, April 3, in the Senior Center, Ira Wood moderating. Co-ordinators are E. Savage and L. Vivante.
2) Pre-Town Meeting: Scheduled for April 19th, Senior Center, Dan Silverman moderating, David Wright co-ordinating. *
FUTURE FORUM TOPICS: A Forum presentation updating townspeople on the status of various municipal projects (and those affecting us). Three “institutions” proposed to present:
-The Wellfleet Public Library (John Morrissey, trustee and liaison)
-Outer Cape Health Services (David Wright has spoken to Dan Hood,who is willing to speak to us.)
-The Swap Shop (Lydia Vivante of the Recycling Comm. seems the logical liaison)
-also mentioned: Town Hall lawn. Are there changes still planned for it, D. Elkin asked? What will it look like?
-Esther Elkin will continue to pursue Julian Cyr/S. Peake to see if they would address our Forum
– Pay parking in Wellfleet? (J. Morrissey will call T.S. to see what the status of this notion is.
– Main St. Route 6 intersection re-vamp. Any news? Scheduled for 2018
A few of our proposed topics might fit under the umbrella of a discussion posing this question: If there is a financial squeeze in Wellfleet, which direction would you rather see the Town go in addressing it: high taxes, or fewer services? Jeff Tash proposed this as a Forum topic for September. He also favorably recalled previous Forums whose topic was: What’s on your Mind, Wellfleet, and suggested we might try this again.
ADJOURN: The meeting adjourned at 6:00 p.m.
The next meeting will be April 20th, Senior Center, 5:00 p.m.